Child & Adolescent Services
I provide comprehensive assessment and therapy for children and teenagers of all ages. My goal is to find possible explanations for a young person’s difficulties and explore ways of improving their lives and mental wellbeing. Diagnosis can be helpful, for example to increase understanding in the child’s environment or to get funding. It can help with deciding which approach would be best to address the difficulties. However it does not necessarily imply a cause and usually is only a description of behaviours.
I have a collaborative approach and refer to other professionals (e.g. Occupational Therapist, Speech Language Therapist, Social Worker, School-counsellor, Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist) if they can offer additional assistance. I have good working relationships with other services in the community and can help with referrals. I can also assist with finding financial support to cover some of the costs involved with my services.
Involvement from parent(s)/caregiver(s) is an essential part of the assessment and therapy, especially with younger children.
Assessment might include:
- Parent interview, which includes gathering historical information
- Observation of child with caregiver, alone or in the classroom
- Interview with child
- Interview with teacher
- Obtaining school records or medical records
- Use of psychometric instruments
- Use of techniques like drawing and play
Clinical interventions are tailored to the developmental level of the young person.
Interventions might include:
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
- Mindfulness training
- Parenting support
- Teacher support
- Liaison with or referral to other professionals